We offer a comprehensive system of child nutrition services for low-income children and families. We believe that good nutrition should begin during early childhood when habits are being formed.
Our nutrition services include:
- Well balanced and nutritious meals that follow the United States Department of Agriculture’s Food Program meal guidelines.
- Nutrition screening and assessment.
- Individual nutrition counseling by a Registered Dietitian for families with children at a nutritional risk.
- Nutrition education at parent meetings and through menus and newsletters.
- A Nutrition curriculum which promotes physical activity and healthy eating habits.
We also work with our community partners to support community-wide education aimed at reducing the rising problem of childhood obesity.
Using a grant for the California/Nevada Community Action Partnership, we developed and implemented a program that uses appropriate serving sizes in classroom meals and serves these meals using family style dining. This program increases the participation of children in healthy physical activities.