Energy & Water Assistance

Energy Assistance

The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally-funded program that assists low income households with their heating and cooling needs, while helping protect the health and safety of the household. *Not Accepting Applications*

Who is Eligible?

Priority for services are given to those households with the highest energy burden, while taking into consideration vulnerable populations such as elderly, disabled, and families with young children. Applicants must meet income guidelines.

Type of Assistance Available?

  • Bill Payment Assistance: Assistance is available based on household income and size, energy cost.
  • Energy Crisis Assistance: Assistance is available to households that are in a crisis situation; such as receiving a 48-hour disconnect notice, or service termination by a utility company. The amount of assistance is based on the applicant’s energy bill, but cannot exceed more than $3,000.
  • Weatherization Assistance: The weatherization program provides services designed to reduce heating and cooling costs and improve the energy efficiency of a home, while safeguarding the health and safety of the household. The program is available regardless of whether applicants own or rent, live in a house, apartment, or a mobile home.

Water Assistance

Who is Eligible?

Eligibility for LIHWAP services can vary depending on income, availability of funding, water system participation, place of residence, and other factors.

Your household may qualify if:

  • Your total household gross income is at or below 60% of the State Median Income (see table) or a household member is a current recipient of CalFresh, CalWORKs, or the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP);
  • ​You receive service from a community water system or wastewater treatment provider (private wells and septic excluded); and 
  • Your water or wastewater system has enrolled in the program. Not all enrolled water systems can accept LIHWAP payments for current bills. ​​​​
  • Renters: If your water and/or wastewater bill is included in your rental payment you may still qualify for LIHWAP if you are past due on rent. The application will require an additional step: you must complete an agreement with your landlord to apply the benefit amount. 

To Apply

You must complete an application for services with Contra Costa County Community Service Bureau. CCC residents only may apply in this county, however there is a HEAP office in every county across California. Completed application packets can be mailed, faxed or dropped off at the following location:

Contra Costa County- Home Energy & Water Assistance Program
1470 Civic Court, Suite 200
Concord, CA 94520
Fax: 925.229.6784