CalWORKs Cash Aid

The California Work Opportunity and Responsibility for Kids (CalWORKs) program provides financial aid for children who lack financial support and care, and to promote and encourage work to enable families to become self-sufficient.

CalWORKs Fact Sheet

Eligibility Factors:

Basic eligibility factors for a child(ren) and a needy parent(s) or caretaker relative include:

Deprivation: The aided child must be deprived of parental support or care because at least one parent is: deceased; or either physically or mentally incapacitated; or the applicant parent is not working or is working less than 100 hours per month; or continually absent from the home.

Age: Children may be eligible for CalWORKs until their 18th birthday, or 18 years old and in high school or vocational school full-time and expected to complete their program before their 19th birthday.

Property: The total property of a child(ren) and the parent(s) must be under the following limits:

Families without elderly members (60 years of age or older) may have $2,250 combined personal and real property per family. Families with elderly members may have $3,500 combined personal and real property per family.

The family home is exempt from the property limits, provided the family lives in the home. One automobile valued up to $5,500 is exempt. Furniture, clothing and appliances are also exempt.

Residence: There are no durational residency requirements for the CalWORKs program. Families who reside in California and who intend to remain in California may be eligible. Eligible family members must be legal residents of the United States.

CalWORKs Time Limits:

CalWORKs has a 48-month/4-year cumulative time limit for receipt of cash aid and requires adults in the family to meet certain work participation requirements.

Diversion Assistance:

Diversion Assistance is designed to help families avoid aid and long-term dependency. If the family is found to be eligible for cash assistance, the worker may offer Diversion Assistance rather than CalWORKS.  To receive Diversion, there must be a sound plan for immediate self-support.

School Attendance & Immunization Requirements:

CalWORKs regulations require that all school-age children attend school regularly. It is the responsibility of the parent. If a child under age 16 does not attend school, the parent may be sanctioned and removed from the cash grant. If a child 16-18 does not attend school, then that child is removed from the cash grant.

Families receiving CalWORKs cash aid are required to obtain immunizations for all pre-school children (birth through 6 years of age). Parents must provide written proof of their child’s immunization records. A parent who does not give the county this proof may be sanctioned, and his/her needs may be removed from the cash grant.

Home Visiting Program

Home Visiting Program Flier: Eng | Esp

HVP is a free, in-home program matching families with trained professionals who make personal home visits during important early years of your child’s life. If you receive CalWORKs and are pregnant or have a child up to two years old, you may qualify. Contact your worker at one of our offices (see “how to apply” below). You can also learn more at Welcome Home Baby at First 5 Contra Costa and at Nurse-Family Partnership of Contra Costa Health Services.

How to Apply:

There are five CalWORKs offices located throughout Contra Costa County. For information on your eligibility to CalWORKs, call the office nearest you to set up an appointment.

East CountyCentral CountyWest County
4545 Delta Fair Boulevard
Antioch, CA 94509
(925) 608-5980
400 Ellinwood Way
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
1305 Macdonald Avenue
Richmond, CA 94801
151 Sand Creek Road
Suite A, Building 6
Brentwood, CA 94513
 151 Linus Pauling Drive
Hercules, CA 94547

Offices in each location are open Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
See if you and your family might be eligible for CalWORKs Cash Aid and apply here

For more general information about CalWORKs in Contra Costa County please contact:
1 (877) 505-4630