Housing Resources

Are you a senior or person with disability looking for housing?  Information and Assistance has resources here that can help. We have information and listings of housing, including low-income, independent, assisted living, residential care facilities (board and care), and skilled nursing facilities. If you don’t find what you need here, please contact Inforamtion and Assistance for help, email: [email protected], phone: 1-800-510-2020 or 925-229-8434 (if calling from a cell phone or outside of Contra Costa County).

Housing Lists

Types of Senior Housing (Definitions)

Equity Ownership

Offers spacious homes, condominiums, or co-op units rather than apartments. They often have clubhouses and planned activities. There are two equity ownership retirement type communities in Contra Costa County:

  1. Summerset of Brentwood 1675 Crispin Drive, Brentwood (925) 513-7913
  2. Rossmoor 1001 Golden Rain Rd., Walnut Creek (925) 988-7700


Separate apartments which can be garden style or high-rise.  While they typically do not offer services, some may provide various activities or transportation.  These apartments may be conventional or subsidized.  No personal care is allowed to be provided by the community.  Any such services would be arranged and paid for privately.


Separate apartments, typically for independent seniors.  Each has their own small kitchen and the community offers one or two meals served in a group dining room *usually for an additional fee).  These apartments may be conventional or subsidized and some may offer light housekeeping.

Residential Care Facility for the Elderly (RCFE)

The larger facilities are commonly called Assisted Living and many of them also provide Dementia care in a separate wing.  The smaller (typically 6 bed) homes are known as Board & Care.  Each of the three types of RCFE facilities must be licensed by the California Department of Social Services and are required to provide three meals a day, light housekeeping, activities, and some transportation.  They are also licensed to provide medication management and various personal care services (i.e. dressing, bathing, incontinence care).  While the larger Assisted Living facilities typically provide these care services for an additional fee, the Dementia care and the smaller Board & Care homes often include them for on monthly fee. RCFE’s may provide assisted care for relatively independent seniors and those with “Mild Cognitive Impairment”.  If dementia care is advertised, the facility must provide dementia training to their staff and a secured environment for their residents.

Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF)

A nursing facility with the staff and equipment to provide skilled nursing care and rehabilitation services to the elderly, disabled, and individuals who have temporary or permanent health issues requiring around the clock care.

Low-Income Housing Definitions

Housing & Urban Development (HUD)

HUD is a federally funded program that offers reduced-rate housing (30%) to low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities who meet the eligibility and income requirements.

Housing Authority (HA)

The Housing Authority provides rental subsidies, owns and operates low rent public housing for low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities.  Your eligibility is based on annual gross income, whether you qualify as elderly, a person with disability, or as a family.  Each Housing Authority has an area they serve and there is usually a waiting list.

Section 8 – Voucher Program

An individual or family with very low income may apply through the Housing Authority for a Section 8 voucher, which enables the holder to rent a unit on the private market.  Expect a long waiting list, as there are a limited number of vouchers.

Contra Costa County Housing Authority

www.contracostahousing.org Housing Choice Voucher Program/Section 8

  • Central County  925-957-7002
  • East County  925-957-7004
  • West County  925-957-7003

City of Pittsburg Housing Authority

http://www.ci.pittsburg.ca.us/index.aspx?page=150 916 Cumberland St. Pittsburgh, CA 94565 (925) 252-4830

City of Richmond Housing Authority

http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/index.aspx?NID=86 330 24th St. Richmond, CA 94804 (510) 621-1300

Tips on Applying for Low-Income Housing

An entire building or a portion may be reserved for low-income residents.  To determine whether you meet the low income requirements, call the facility manager.

  1. Apply BEFORE you have to move from where you are currently living.
  2. Don’t be discouraged by long waiting lists.  Sometimes the lists move much faster than anyone anticipates.  People ahead of you on the list may have made other arrangements.
  3. Check back every month to let the administrator know you are still interested.
  4. Notify the administrator if your address or phone number changes.