In our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, at least ten percent of our enrollment slots are for children with disabilities. We offer a full range of services to ensure these children will be as successful as the other children in our program.

These services include special education, health, social services, parent involvement, mental health, nutrition, and case management. Children suspected of having a disabling condition and/or children with a disability are carefully assessed to determine what services might be necessary. For each child we assist, we make an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or an Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP) which provides support for their transition into Head Start and later into their local school district.




If your child has demonstrated a problem with prevents him or her from functioning effectively in a general school program without special assistance, then your child might be eligible for a special education program.
Notify your teacher or Site Supervisor as soon as possible, or the office of the Disabilities @  (925) 427-8853.
Contact your teacher or the Site Supervisor. If your child is not yet attending school, call the local Unified School District, and ask for the Student Services or Special Education Department.
A multi-disciplinary assessment team determines a child’s eligibility and needs with input from the child’s parents and teacher. Together they will determine the child’s special education needs, and will develop an Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
Call your center’s Site Supervisor to request that the IEP Team review the IEP for alternatives.
A child who is eligible for services receives special education assistance as long as the IEP team and parents agree that special assistance is needed. This will be based on the on-going evaluation of your child’s needs.
Yes, three and four year old preschool needs are assessed by multi-disciplinary team with input from the child’s parents. An IEP team meeting, including the parents, is held to determine the child’s program. A number of options are available. Local School Districts also provide services for a limited number of toddlers under the age of three.
Call the center your child attends. The center staff will help arrange a convenient time for both you and the teacher.
First, contact your child’s teacher. If you are not able to resolve the problem, then speak to the Site Supervisor. If you are still unable to resolve your concerns, and believe your child needs special education services, you may refer your child for assessment to determine if a special education program is appropriate.
Contact your child’s teacher or Site Supervisor. The Disabilities or Mental Health Manager may assist as well.
Call the Site Supervisor or teacher at the center where your child attends.
Your child’s teacher and Children’s Services Manager will work together with an IEP team to plan an appropriate program. If there is an extended absence, home teachers are available, if appropriate.
Medication must be given under the school’s supervision with written medical authorization. It is your responsibility to get the medication to school. It cannot be transported on the school bus.
Special arrangements will be make if the School District IEP team determines that age, disabling condition, or distance prevents your child going from home to school.