If you are currently receiving Medi-Cal benefits, please call our service center at 1 (866) 663-3225 for assistance. You will be able to talk to a courteous and professional representative who can take care of your Medi-Cal needs. The service center is open Monday through Friday form 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Anyone who answers the toll free line will help you immediately with things such as:
- Reporting Medi-Cal changes (such as a new address, income, newborn, etc.)
- Questions about your benefits
- Assistance with completing forms
Having your Medi-Cal Case Number or Social Security Number available will help the representative serve you more quickly.
Medi-Cal and Health Care Options:
The Employment & Human Services Department (EHSD) enrolls customers into an available health care option in accordance with the Affordable Care Act. Staff at EHSD can enroll customers into a health care program, including Medi-Cal or subsidized health coverage plans. Subsidized or unsubsidized health coverage plans are purchased through California’s health coverage marketplace, Covered Ca.
Health Coverage Options:
MAGI Medi-Cal eligibility includes the non-disabled, non-elderly, childless adult population up to 138% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). Household income will be calculated using the Modified Gross Adjusted Income (MAGI), which is the adjusted gross income as defined on household income tax returns. There is no asset/property test for MAGI households. For more information, please visit the EHSD Health Care Website.
Private Insurance from the Exchange Plans
The State’s Health Coverage Exchange, known as Covered Ca, will offer four different health plan levels – platinum, gold, silver or bronze. The four levels are distinct in premium cost and benefit levels. All levels provide the minimum essential coverage required by the Affordable Cara Act. Advanced Premium Tax Credits (APTC) are available to help offset the cost of health insurance for families whose modified adjusted gross income is under 400% FPL. Additional savings through Cost Sharing Reductions (CSR) are available for families whose modified adjusted gross income is under 250% FPL. The insurance companies that will be available in Contra Costa County are Anthem Blue Cross of California, Blue Shield, Health Net, and Kaiser Permanente. For more information, please visit Covered Ca.
Traditional Non-MAGI Medi-Cal
The Non-MAGI Medi-Cal population will include the aged, blind, and disabled, long-term care, medically needy, and individuals deemed eligible for Medi-Cal as a result of other programs such as CalWORKs, Adoption Assistance Program, or foster care. Non-MAGI Medi-Cal eligibility will remain subject to the asset/property test. For more information, please visit the EHSD Health Care Website.
Understanding Health Care Reform: The Affordable Care Act
Three years ago, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) became federal law. It initiated the most significant changes in the U.S. health care system since the establishment of Medicare in 1965.
Key features of the law include:
- Adds free preventive care: Health insurance plans must cover lifesaving preventive services at no additional cost to you
- Extends coverage for young adults: Parents can keep their children covered under their health insurance until they reach age 26.
- Bans lifetime limits: Health plans can no longer place lifetime dollar limits on the benefits you receive.
- Ends denial of coverage based on pre-existing conditions: Children with pre-existing conditions cannot be denied insurance. In 2014, no one can be denied because of a pre-existing condition.
- Establishes a set of Essential Health Benefits that insurance plans must offer.