By The Numbers

  1. The 2014 EHSD Budget included total expenditures of $448,701,212 with a Net County Cost from the County General Fund of only 4.2%. The remaining 95.8% is comprised of State and Federal Revenues.
  2. Current EHSD staffing is 2,150 budgeted Full Time Equivalent (FTE) positions.

2014 Staff Profile by Function and Level

OCCUPATIONAL CATEGORY FILLED POSITIONS PERCENT
Officials and Administrators 68 4%
Professionals 542 32%
Technicians 398 23%
Administrative Support 688 40%
Service Maintenance 11 1%
Total 1707 100%

Staff Profile by Race, Ethnicity, and Gender

RACE/ETHNICITY PERCENT
White 34%
African American/Black 29%
Hispanic/Latino 22%
Asian American 7%
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander American 1%
Filipino American 7%
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0%
TOTAL 100%

 

EHSD PERFORMANCE INDICATORS

A.   ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES BUREAU

Contracts

In 2014, there were 34 Requests for Interest (RFI) and 8 Request for Proposals (RFP) issued to the community for a total of over $5.3 million dollars.

Staff Development

EHSD staff members attended a total of 9,024 training sessions for a total of 50,512 hours, representing 2,724 hours of classroom time. More than half of those hours were dedicated to training workers on performing eligibility determinations.

B.   AGING AND ADULT SERVICES BUREAU

AAS evaluated 1,648 Adult Protective Services (APS) referrals; made approximately 10,649 information service referrals; provided 154,986 congregate meals; 38,333 rides to congregate meal sites; 3,941 nutrition education sessions; 324,376 home delivered meals (aka, “Meals on Wheels”); 6,075 hours of legal assistance; 9,346 hours of long term care ombudsman services. In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) served over 8,000 eligible residents with approximately 8.2 million hours of paid in-home care, 26,190 hours of home visiting; and 7,392 hours of adult day care.

General Assistance

In 2013-2014, EHSD determined General Assistance (GA) benefits for approximately 11,200 individuals exceeding the 90% threshold for processing applications within the 30-day timeframe.

In Calendar Year 2014, Volunteer & Emergency Services (VES) distributed $1,358,478 in goods and services to 13,689 community members and engaged over 5,680 hours of donated volunteer time

C.   CHILDREN AND FAMILY SERVICES BUREAU

In calendar year 2014, Children and Family Services (CFS) handled nearly 22,000 child abuse hotline calls; documented approximately 8,000 suspected child abuse and neglect referrals; performed 3,330 intensive in-person assessments, and managed approximately 3,400 formal cases.

All of this activity generated 23,000 visits to homes, schools, and EHSD offices and resulted in 5,550 Juvenile Court Hearings.

In total, more than 56,000 children, parents, families, and community members were contacted during the year.

D.   Community Services Bureau

The Community Services Bureau (CSB) helped more than 10,000 children, families, and individuals through child development and community action programs.

Head Start provided part-day and full-day educational and comprehensive services to 1,566 low income children three to five years old and their families.

Child Start provided full-day, year-round childcare to an additional 713 children of low-income working parents.

Child Nutrition prepared and delivered approximately 400,000 meals in 2014 (almost 2,000 meals and snacks per day) to more than 1,150 children enrolled in Head Start and Child Development childcare centers throughout the County.

E.   WORKFORCE SERVICES BUREAU

By the end of 2014, the Workforce Service Bureau enrolled over 160,000 Contra Costa residents in poverty relief programs including Medi-Cal, CalFresh, and CalWORKs (all of which are largely funded by the federal government).

This includes:

  • 21,881 individuals (primarily children) received cash assistance via CalWORKs
  • 4,254 adults and 6,149 children in 4,498 Welfare-to-Work cases
  • 60,000 individuals in 38,627 households (primarily children) received assistance to purchase fresh food via CalFresh, a 9.5% increase.
  • 117,000 individuals from 101,198 families received reduced cost health care via Medi-Cal, a dramatic increase.